Welcome to a brand new school year! Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you for your support in the past. As always, I am requesting that you volunteer your time and/or skills to help make this a truly wonderful year for our children.
Here is a quick glance at what we do at Hindu Heritage School:
- We offer religious/spiritual/cultural heritage classes along with Hindi language and Yoga.
- The different age groups we cater to range from 6 to 18 years.
- Students are divided into 3 groups according to age, which rotate to attend three different sessions every Sunday.
- We start at 11 a.m. in the meeting room where everybody sits down together. We begin with chanting of “OM” and then move on to reciting slokas and mantras until 11.30a.m.
- At 11.30 a.m. the children move on to one of the three sessions according to their age group. (Group 1: Ages 13 to 18 (grades 8 to 12); Group 2: Ages 9 to 12 (grades 4 to 7) and Group 3: Ages 5 to 8 (grades Kindergarten to 3)
The children rotate between three 30-minute sessions:
- Religious/spiritual discussion: In this class, students learn about the rich Vedic cultural heritage of India and understand the concepts and beliefs of Hinduism. They learn about sacred scriptures, gods and goddesses and the symbolism behind rites and rituals.
- Hindi language classes: Students are exposed to both spoken and written Hindi language. Emphasis is on conversational Hindi.
- Yoga Asanas: Children learn various Yoga Asanas and also their therapeutic value.
Once a month, the students have an opportunity to listen to a learned guest speaker who talks to them about Indian culture. These talks range from music, dance, literature, and languages, to foods, costumes, and festivals of India.
Twice a year, we hold special events like Holi and a Sloka Competition. This gives the children an opportunity to participate in dances and plays and enjoy special foods.
Sunday School classes are taught by volunteers, many of whom are parents of the children enrolled. Parent volunteers also help with special events. Please let us know how we can make Sunday school more meaningful to you and your children. We welcome your suggestions and help. Let us know in which area you can volunteer your time and skills. As we all know, children learn by watching the actions of the adults in their lives. Let us try to be the best role models we can be for our children. Together we can do it!
Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com. Looking forward to a great year,